Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hi, My name is Roxann.....

...and I'm a Weight Watcher.

Geez, where do I start? So, I get up this morning to pouring rain. Good thing I am supposed to meet Kathy (the GM at Ike's station) at the WW meeting, otherwise at 7:45am in the pouring rain, I might have found myself....OK, definitely would have found myself snuggling right back up to Big Daddy and skipping the meeting! But, I put my feet on the floor and began my day.

As I left for the meeting, feeling like a girl about to throw herself into a volcano as a sacrifice (I know, I know, but I'm a drama queen....) I was nervous. Very nervous. My stomach was torn up....(ah, and now I see how it works, the thought of getting weighed by a stranger that is not a medical professional freaks you out so bad, you don't want to eat...)

So, I get there and find I have to park 4 rows over (hmm..... apparently I'm not the only one with a weight issue) and I run thru the pouring rain. Kathy is at the door, waiting on me and waving. Boy, it sure is easier with a friend.

We go in, where the WW welcome lady, deluges me with information and asks me which plan I want to pay for. Of course, I knew it would cost money...but I was in no way prepared for the amount of things they would sell, that I would need. So, I began making the mental list.... ($20 join fee...$12.00 weekly meeting fee....$??? books....$??? food.... yikes!!!) I started stressing out and I really wanted to make a break for it! Again, thank goodness, Kathy was there.

So, because I am still not sure I want to go to meetings every week....I am thinking of joining online....so I ask about the "free" try a meeting deal listed on the internet. Quite frankly, the lady seems irritated with me. She finally admits we can sit thru the meeting and join after. (good choice sister, because that's what I was doing...with or without you!)

The leader was a cutie who lost 75lbs in 2006 and has kept it off! She motivated us with her "Happy THIndependence Day!" speech, complete with a cute pledge re-written to motivate us to make good food choices at our celebrations this week!
And, she did motivate me. Just by her tag proclaiming she lost 75 lbs in 2006. (maybe there is hope for me, yet...)

So, after the meeting, we need to join. (Kathy wants to do weigh-ins, so I will do it with her, instead of on-line.) We need to pay for meetings. We need books. We need resources. So...$192 later...I am joined for 14 weeks (well, 13 more after today.) And, I have all the books I need to calculate points at the grocery store, the restaurants and a little slide calculator for doing it while reading food labels.

I think I'm ready to do it.....

So...in the interest of being honest...I have to decide whether or not to share with you my weight. I mean, this is ~the Real Roxann~ right? I mean, it's just a number. What does it really mean? You all love me, no matter what that number is, right?! You support me...you don't judge...right?!

Ok...here it goes. Why is this so hard to admit, it's not like you all don't know I am big. Ok...try again. My weigh in was 272. Gosh....272. I really need to do this....and I need your support. It could save my life.

So, my first weight goal is 10%. 27 pounds. Wow. That's a lot. 27 pounds. I can't even think of something that is 27 pounds. But...that's what I have to lose to start with.

Long term....I should probably lose 150 (my best guess,) but lets see how this goes before we start talking about losing enough weight to equal another whole person.

And now, I want to say to Big Daddy... thank you for your support. Thank you for not rolling your eyes as I calculate points, even if you think I am nuts! Thank you for supporting me, by doing it to. You are really willing to give up sugar, just because I have to? Now...that's love. Thank you for always accepting me, no matter if I am 272 or 125. Thank you for loving me and telling me I am beautiful. You will never know how much this means to me...really.... I love you.

And to you, my loving friends, thank you for your kind words of support. Although, you guys think I am strong, I am not. I am weak and I am scared to death. Most of all, I'm afraid I will fail and disappoint you. But, thank you for your belief in me. And thank you for listening. But, most of all, thank you for choosing me as your friend and accepting me, just like I am. I really love you guys!




12 comments:

Amber Winward said...

you ROCK girly!!! I know you'll do great. I"m here for you to talk to if you need... i'd go with you if i could- man.. where's the money tree when i need it? :)

Mandy said...

WOW!!! I'm so proud of you. You will succeed at this just like you do everything else. I miss you girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh girl...I am SOOO proud of you for doing this! I hate worrying about your health, and I'm glad your not one of those people who complain about it and don't do anything proactive. I can't wait to hold you accountable...hee hee! Now, don't let us down okay? (More importantly, don't let YOU down...you can do this!) Love ya,~J

Anonymous said...

GO ROXANNE GO!! You make me want to join with you! ( I really should join online) I know you are going to be successful!

Anonymous said...

Rox- You didn't have to buy so much so fast! All you needed was the $40/month pass...and that gives you the online stuff that is in those books...but spending $$ always helps keep me motivated.
I already lost 10 and you will lose about 3-7 the first week and then like 1-4 the next so you get going fast at first. That will motivate you! I am here by phone, email and soon in person...so if you want to do a weight-in while you are in GA...let me know! I'll go with ya sister!

RickertsZoo; Summerfield, NC said...

Hi, My name is Beth.... and I am your unmotivated, overweight friend.
I will weight (ha!) around to see how your $1 a pound WW diet works for ya. I wasn't willing to do the Southbeach with you....and I'm just too selfish to do WW with you across the continent...
BUT, success breeds success. So I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
Love you...

trish said...

Hey Rox! Well, I can tell you what my Doctor told me when I started my diet. (from the cardio logist) Get down to 160, and work toward your goal of 130. It helped to know that I didn't have to kill myself to get to a healthy weight. It's still 60 lbs., but doable. I hope this helps! I know how you feel, and I know you can do it! Love you!

Kerry McKibbins said...

You my friend, are a goddess. I bow down to you.
I wish you all the best!!!!
(hopefully you will motivate me!)

Beth said...

So how is it going? I remember taking a sharpie marker and writing the points on everything in the pantry. Adjusting to the portion sizes was hard for me too but I got used to it. I will say, I ate so many raw mini carrots (0 points) that I can't touch them now. But I am sure after a few more months, they will appeal to me again.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'm very proud of you! I know you'll do great. And ya know what? If you have some bad days, everything will still be OK. Good Luck!!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on joining WW! I've heard that in order to make something a habit you have to do it for 4 weeks. That's only a month, easy, since you've already started the first week. Keep at it and it will get easier, I promise!

FlipFlop Mom said...

You ARE GOING TO BE AMAZING AT THIS!!! I DESPISE MY LEADER!!! yours sounds AWESOME!! Mine is OLD.. and BORING and doesn't SMILE and I'm sick to death of not getting the support I think I deserve... I lost last week and didn't even get a DAMN BRAVO STICKER!!! LAZY leader I have!! LOL LO L LOL...

You will be amazing!!! I promise you!!! My friend started about your weight and is down 60lbs... she looks amazing.. even at her current weight!!! You can do it girl!!! I'll be your cheerleader.. and any questions... ASK!!

My Art

Labels

Followers